Friday, January 18, 2008



In this blog, I will be talking about "everything" equine", including training, tack and equipment, feeding, veterinary care, equine product reviews and alot more!

My name is Laura Phelps-Bell and I have been a professional trainer/instructor for over 30 years. I began operating my training stable, Starwood Farm, back in 1976 at the age of 17. My primary focus back then was in training horses and humans in dressage and hunter/jumpers. However, my focus quickly expanded to re-habing Thoroughbreds off-the-track, and also teaching horse owners how to train their own young, green horses by having them participate in the training from the beginning. I had galloped TB racehorses at a training farm when I was 14/15 years old, so I knew what went into their training for the track and the hurdles that these horses faced, both physically and psychologically, when they came off the track and needed to start in another "career".

Since 1976, my students and I have been extremely successful in the show ring in dressage and hunter/jumpers, but also in creating excellent endurance horses, trail horses and just really great horses to be around in any setting. When I moved to Northern Nevada from Southern California in 1992, I met up with Mustangs, and it is these horses who have taught me the most about a "true" herd hierarchy and our position in their herd. I currently have 15 Mustangs, some formerly wild and some raised in captivity, and they are an absolute wonder to watch and interact with. Even though I had interacted beginning back in the early-'70's in domestic herds, the Mustangs have a much truer sense of "the herd" and how things should and do work. I will be posting photos of my various herds and horses and I believe what many people will find that are not familiar with Mustangs is that they come in all different shapes, sizes, colors and conformation and while some may look kind of coarse and perhaps rough looking, many are as elegant and pretty as you could want in a horse.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello Laura, I have a blog that is narrated by my favorite donkey Miss Abby. She is now publicly following you! I am Marjorie Farabee her registered human friend, and we recently saw an article you wrote countering the horse slaughter debate. Bravo! Cheers! Thank you! I would love to be your friend on FB if you are on FB. If not, I would like to let you know that we will be featuring your articles along the way on donkeyscando.blogspot.com We are avidly trying to protect Miss Abby's wild cousins the burro from eradication at the hands of BLM, Parks, and Forest Service. We would love your take on training these remarkable animals. We have 108 equine at the ranch, which range from Percheron (PMU mares) minis, Mammoth donkeys, to minis. We also have mules. Again, my hat is off to you Laura.

Vive el burro,
Marjorie Farabee
e-mail me with a private way of communicating so that I can give you my information. ph. etc.